Parents » Parent FAQ's

Parent FAQ's

My family is new to the county.  What documentation do I need before I register my child(ren) in Prince George County schools?

Please be prepared to provide the following documentation:

  • Certified state issued birth certificate

  • Comprehensive physical examination (K-5 only)

  • Immunization record

  • Proof of residency

  • Previous school records

  • Court issued custody papers (if applicable)

Please take an opportunity to review the Registration Guide if you would like any more specific information on registering your child in a secondary school.

How can I keep up with my child's grades?

All parents have the ability to view their child's current academic progress by using Parent Portal.  If you already have a Parent Portal account, you may access your account by logging in here.  If you do not have an account, or you are not sure how to use Parent Portal, please take a moment to read some frequently asked questions about Parent Portal here.  You may also use Parent Portal to email your child's teacher, check attendance records, and other important functions.

What grading scale does Prince George County Public Schools use?

The grading scale for all Prince George County schools is as follows:

  • A+     97-100

  • A       90-96

  • B+    86-89

  • B      80-85

  • C+    76-79

  • C      70-75

  • D+    66-69

  • D      60-65

  • F       <60

My child has an Office 365 account because he/she is a student at N.B. Clements Junior High School.  What is Office 365?

In the past, Microsoft Office had to be installed on each computer on which students wanted to use Office's suite of applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).  With Office 365, students are able to access Office applications, plus other productivity services, over the internet.  Each student at N.B. Clements is given a school email account, unlimited cloud storage through Microsoft OneDrive, and use of other Office applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint that they can access through any internet browser.  Along with access to all of these Microsoft tools over the internet, each student at N.B. Clements may download and install two copies of the latest version of Microsoft Office.  Please call N.B. Clements and ask to speak to Wade Kliebenstein if you have further questions about Office 365.

I have questions about my child's schedule.  Who should I contact?

All questions about scheduling should be referred to the Guidance Department.  Guidance counselors will handle scheduling concerns based on students' last names.  Please ask to speak to the individual counselor who can handle your concern:

  • Director of Counseling (Last Names A-F):  Mr. Steven Bhatt

  • Counselor (Last Names G-M):  Mrs. Abby Zepp

  • Counselor (Last Names N-Z):  Mr. Tyrone Graves

Who should I contact if I want to resolve an issue that involves my child?

If you have an issue that you do not feel your child's guidance counselor can resolve, please feel free to contact an administrator who might best be able to help.  If your child is in the eighth grade, please contact Mr. Brian Sorrell.  If your child is in the ninth grade, please contact Mrs. Melanie Barron Ficke.  Each administrator can be contacted through email by clicking on their name, or by calling the school at (804) 733-2730.

My child wants to get involved with an athletic team.  What do I need to know?

First, please make sure that your child has a completed physical form.  Please contact the coach of the athletic team that your child is interested in joining for answers to specific questions.  If you are not sure who you need to contact about a specific athletic team, you may contact the county's athletic director, Mr. Bruce Carroll for more information.

Is there an easy way to manage my child's lunch account?

Yes!  Parents may easily load money onto their child's lunch account by using My School Bucks, along with other simple ways to pre-load money onto the lunch account.  Please refer to county's Food & Nutrition Services Pre-Payment Options webpage for more information.  A link to this page can be found in the Parents menu in the navigation row at the top of the page.